Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Second harvest -- Hurray!


Coming into this year, I was a bit skeptical that back yard bees actually made honey. I figured I'd picked up another hobby I was no good at and couldn't help but bungle. As it turns out, I had a medium super, again, completely filled with honey in a matter of a few weeks.

This time half the comb was nice and straight. The other half of the frames were drawn together here and there, but the bees did a nice job filling the super right up! It was so heavy -- it's a good thing my dh helps me heft the thing home each time.

After several hours of cutting comb, crushing and scraping wax and honey into a filtered bucket, we were done for the day. I kept one cut comb square, just because it was so absolutely beautiful I just love to look at it. I'm taking it to a youth activity tonight to let the girls have a taste, if they'd like. I don't think I'd particularly like eating the comb, but some kids might. I do love to just admire it!

No comments:

Post a Comment