Sunday, August 23, 2009

More carnage than I care to share

This weekend marks our first honey harvest wherein we discovered our honey super had pockets of brood. Drrrrrrgh!

My dd had the keen eye to first spot this troublesome fact, as she looked into the bottom of the super before we even began. I had stupidly wondered why we still had so many bees in residence when our escape board had worked so well on the other hive!



Well, I thought, maybe there will only be a tiny bit of brood. We'll just cut that part out and move on.

Easier thought than done. Especially considering this was a super I had place on the hive before realizing I had not finished an important job that must be done when using foundationless frames. I had not turned the wedges to provide a guide for the bees, and they had drawn comb in an intestinal pattern turning every which way throughout the super.



This was the messiest, most time consuming extraction I never hope to do again, resulting in the death of many bees and many bees-to-be. I had nightmares about it afterward. Dh couldn't even sleep after that, the poor man.

From now on, that particular hive gets the benefit of a queen excluder as soon as wax is being drawn on the frame GUIDES that I will never forget again when building frames for foundationless use.

I think we probably ended up with only 15 to 20 lbs. of usable honey and a very small amount of usable beeswax, since much of the capped honey was backed by uncapped nectar and/or brood, which had to be removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment